Jonah Hofmeyer — Staff Writer
Christmas time is here. And what better way to celebrate than to sit on the couch and watch Christmas movies for hours on end while eating frosted sugar cookies that were supposed to be for Santa. This holiday season, don’t fall victim to endless scrolling on your streaming platforms trying to find the perfect Christmas movie to watch. Here are 10 movies for you to watch during Christmas break this year.
10. Coming in at number 10 we’ve got “Die Hard.” While many of you are throwing a fit over this pick, the rest of us will be enjoying an action-packed movie that will keep us on the edge of our seats. Watch as John McClane fights terrorists on Christmas with nothing but his wit and brains. With popular actors like Alan Rickman, Bruce Willis, and Bonnie Bedelia, this 1988 Christmas pick will provide you with a thrilling experience this holiday season.
9. “The Polar Express” is an animated classic. Every child who has seen this movie wishes they could embark on a magical train journey to the North Pole to meet Santa. With endless hot chocolate and musical numbers featuring Tom Hanks, Michael Jeter, and Leslie Zemeckis, let yourself believe this Christmas season, and maybe you won’t get coal in your stocking this year.
8. “It’s a Wonderful Life” is widely considered one of the greatest movies of all time and will fill you with love that even Hallmark classics cannot provide. Let this classic bring you into the holiday spirit with actors like James Stewart and Iowa native Donna Reed. Sprout your wings this Christmas and put an old 1946 classic on your watchlist.
7. “Klaus” is a different take on the Santa Clause story. This animated movie follows a young man named Jesper, who discovers a specialty toy carpenter named Klaus. Jesper and Klaus provide a small town with toys, bringing an uprising to the town. With actor Jason Schwartzman as Jesper and J.K. Simmons as Klaus, you can let yourself take in the innovative animation style and wholesome story as you max out your credit card buying gifts this year.
6. I would be remiss not to mention “Frosty the Snowman” in the top 10. Who doesn’t look forward to watching this classic on the TV while playing that game of Monopoly that has been going on for 5 days? While the animation is simple, that is what makes this movie great. This 1969 animated classic will fill everyone’s household with nostalgia, just don’t miss the Christmas Eve service to watch it.
5. While short and sweet, “A Charlie Brown Christmas” is a must-watch. For 25 minutes watch Charles M. Schulz’s Peanut Comics come to life. With popular characters like Charlie Brown, Lucy, and Snoopy, let yourself chuckle at the iconic Charlie Brown Christmas tree, which will ultimately make you feel better about the tree in your own home.
4. “The Santa Clause” is a Christmas comedy that will make you spill your eggnog. Tim Allen will entertain, provide some laughs, and ultimately put you in the Christmas spirit. And if you didn’t have enough after watching the first movie, watch the next two for more laughs and gags. So, skip the layover in Denver and get a direct flight to delights and laughs with this pick.
3. “The Grinch” is a classic story by Dr. Seuss. No, I’m not talking about the 1966 animated movie or the terrifying 2000s live-action remake. I’m talking about the 2018 animated movie starring Benedict Cumberbatch. This movie is a wonderful remake of the classic for a modern audience. So watch the Grinch this Christmas season, even though the wind is breezin’.
2. Coming in at the number two spot is “Home Alone.” Who doesn’t like watching a little kid absolutely demolish two grown men as they continually try to break into the kid’s house? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, but it would not be insane to watch this movie over and over again. Good thing you don’t have to because there are 3 movies in the Home Alone series that will each provide a wonderful laugh for the whole family. Make sure you rent this movie and “Keep the change, ya filthy animal.”
1. “Elf.” Need I say more? This Will Ferrell classic is a must-watch for my family every Christmas, which is why it takes the number one spot. This movie has everything: romance, comedy, and a heartwarming story for the whole family. Buddy the Elf sets out to New York to find his dad, who is on the naughty list. Buddy hopes to find his dad and get him on the nice list, and maybe find some love along the way. So, find your dad this Christmas season and sit down and watch a beloved Christmas movie.