On Thursday, Nov. 13, sophomore Engineering major Becka Vonke frantically called Student Health Services to report that she had discovered her roommate, sophomore Theater major Anna Swaan, unconscious and wrapped in blankets on the floor of Covenant 399 at 9:05 p.m. CST.
“Anna’s not moving!” Vonke is reported to have said, according to 911 call records. “I came into the dorm and she’s just lying unresponsive in bed! Something’s wrong!”
However, while Vonke was explaining the situation to the emergency respondent and most of the students who happened to be in the hall at the time, Swaan shocked everyone by sitting up.
“Becka, please stop yelling,” Swaan is reported to have said groggily. “I’m trying to sleep.”
Vonke wasted no time expressing concern for her roommate. “Anna! Are you OK?” Vonke purportedly yelled. “You were passed out on the bed!”
“What? I was just sleeping, I was done with my homework so I went to bed,” Swaan said. “Until you started freaking out.”
Swaan was quickly taken to a doctor and evaluated for comatose symptoms.
“Going to bed at 9?” Vonke says. “You’ve got to be kidding me! This is college! It had to have been serious. I thought she had to be delirious. There was no other explanation.”
“It’s rather rare for this sort of thing to occur on college campuses,” said Director of Campus Health Services Beth Baas. “I certainly can’t remember another case like this.”
Swaan is now doing fine and has returned to classes and college life as normal. She issued a statement via tweet early Saturday morning.
“I don’t see why everyone is freaking out right now. I just went to bed a little earlier than normal,” Swaan said. “Honestly, I used to go to bed at nine every day!”
After five days of recovering from the trauma, Vonke was able to calm down enough to reflect on the experience.
“I’m so relived everything turned out alright,” Vonke said. “I can’t imagine what would have happened if I hadn’t done anything. It’s just not natural to go to bed that early in college!”
This article was taken from the Zircon issue of The Dordt Diamond